All Eagan residents interested in hosting a block party for their neighborhood can reserve traffic cones from the City to make their event more memorable and safe. Traffic cones can be issued for a $25 deposit, provided applications are approved by the Transportation Operations Division (Streets, Trails & Traffic) of the Public Works Department.
- Streets must be accessible to emergency and local neighborhood traffic at all times.
- Street closures are permitted only during the hours from sunrise to sunset as published in the local metropolitan newspaper for the day.
- Street closures are restricted to only cul-de-sacs and local residential neighborhood streets not exceeding 500 feet from intersection to intersection (or end) of cul-de-sac, or incorporating more than 12 properties taking access from the affected street.
- Full or partial closure of designated collector and arterial streets will not be permitted.
- No portion of a street shall be closed that results in a remaining portion of the same street from having a convenient and adequate turnaround for the traveling public without encroaching on private property or using private driveways.
- No rope, chain, wooden or other heavy material (greater than 50 pounds) type barricades are permitted. High visibility orange traffic cones are recommended, and up to 12 will be provided by the City for a $25 deposit (cash or check only. We are unable to process credit cards).
- Traffic cones can be picked up at the Eagan Maintenance Facility which is located at 3501 Coachman Point. The hours of pickup and return are 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Cones are expected back the following day and your deposit will be returned at that time.
- For all other block parties, hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. For weekend use, the pickup is on Friday and the return on Monday. On holidays, the pickup day would be the first working day preceding the holiday, with the return on the first working day following the holiday. Weekday pickup days are the day before and return the day after. No delivery or pickup of cones will be provided by the City.
A permit, issued by the City of Eagan, is required to close any public street for any purpose, including neighborhood block parties.
- Print a copy of the Block Party Application and Consent Form.
- The permit must be signed and completed by a resident impacted by, and responsible for, the street closure
- The permit must be accompanied by signatures from a minimum of 75% of the impacted properties indicating their support for the block party.
- The permit must be submitted a minimum of seven (7) working days prior to the requested date to allow notification of various departments. Application can be returned either in person, scan and e-mail it to
Liability & Responsibility}
- The City assumes no responsibility or liability for the street closure, the placement of the barricades/cones or the activities of the block party.
- The applicant agrees to comply with all local ordinances and cooperate with local law enforcement officials as requested.
- The applicant agrees to clean up any refuse from party.
- The applicant agrees to accept responsibility for the timely return of any materials obtained from the City and the fee of replacing any missing, damaged or destroyed materials.