Sustainability in Eagan
In 2022, the City of Eagan launched a sustainability initiative. The initiative will inform and fund efforts toward a sustainable future.
How will we work toward this goal?
Here’s the high-level plan:
- Fund our work toward a sustainable future through a franchise fee
- Create a strategic plan through a collaborative process
- Hire a sustainability coordinator to help guide the process
Why the focus on sustainability?
Minnesota’s climate is changing and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Temperatures are increasing — especially in winter — and larger, more frequent extreme weather events are occurring. We see it when ice skating season is shorter, when we prepare as much for ice as for snow, and when we need to design stormwater infrastructure to accommodate heavier rainfall.
"There is nothing more essential to our collective health than the air and water around us," Mayor Mike Maguire said in his 2022 State of the City address.
Look for this icon in City communications for information about sustainability efforts:
We want to hear from you!
We want to hear from our Eagan community. What are the green issues that are most important to you? Take two minutes to tell us!
Pitch in—sustainable actions for residents
How did we get here?
The City already works with residents and businesses to preserve Eagan’s natural environment in many ways, including:
- The Water Resources team and our volunteer programs work to protect and preserve Eagan’s 1,200 lakes, streams, and ponds.
- Eagan’s forestry team’s efforts along with the 12,000 trees residents who planted on private property help keep our air clean and healthy.
- Later this year, all City facilities will be powered by wind and solar energy.
- The City has charging stations for electric vehicles at the Eagan Community Center and City Hall, with future stations planned around the city.
All Things Green
Shade Tree Management Programs
Odd-Even Outdoor Watering
Smart Irrigation Program
Water Conservation Efforts Can Earn a Rebate
Be SMART When Using Salt this Winter
Eagan Named GreenSteps City
WaterSmart Irrigation Tips
Healthy Lawn Tips
Be Green All Year
Radon Testing: Be Safe At Home
Bright Lights, Big Savings: Eagan Saves with LED
Solar and Energy Improvements
Energy & Environment Advisory Commission