The Eagan Volunteer Fire Department was established on July 13, 1963. The department had 41 men, but no equipment. In 1963, the department moved into a new fire station and purchased a 1942 military surplus fire engine from the University of Minnesota. In 1965, the City of Eagan purchased its first new fire engine. The 1942 fire engine (known as Jenny) is still owned by the City of Eagan and on display at the Fire Safety Center/ Station 2 location.
Today, Eagan Fire protects 34 square miles of the city operating out of three fire stations. Eagan Fire responds to approximately 6,000 calls per calendar year. In addition to responding to fire and EMS calls, the department has a well-established fire inspection and prevention program.