Every two years, we survey business owners and managers about their perspectives on the community, including the business and economic climate, local services and demographics. The results are meant to offer the City Council and staff a snapshot of the business viewpoint about community quality and government services.
For the 2019 survey and again in 2021, we contracted with National Research Center, Inc. to participate in the National Business Survey™. This online tool tracks business expectations for the coming year, identifies characteristics of the business environment needed to enhance local economic vitality, monitors the kind of services and policy support that would allow local businesses to succeed, describes local companies and shows business owners’ perceptions of the quality of current services and community life.
Eagan gets thumbs up from business survey respondents in 2021
Our 2021 business survey results are in, and 99% said that they value Eagan as an excellent or good place to work. That’s just one finding from a City of Eagan survey sent to every addressable Eagan business via U.S. mail last October.
More than 9 in 10 business owners and managers felt that Eagan was an excellent or good place to do business and a similar proportion gave the same evaluations to the overall economic health of Eagan, ratings that were also higher than the national benchmarks. Additionally, Eagan rated higher than national benchmarks in over 73% of all categories.
“We’re pleased once again to see that respondents value Eagan as a place to do business and like our business climate,” says Joe Ellickson, director of communications and engagement. “We also identified a couple of areas that need work, and we found that Eagan businesses are continuing to struggle to find qualified applicants.” Full results will be released soon; in the meantime, here are two more highlights:
- 100% of respondents said Eagan offers an excellent or good quality of life.
- 93% of respondents value Eagan as an excellent or good place to do business.
- 92% of business owners and managers rated Eagan as an excellent or good place to do business and nearly all (97%) felt that Eagan had an excellent or good quality of life.
- 97% of respondents would recommend operating a business in Eagan to others and plan to keep their business in Eagan for the next five years.
- Staffing emerged as the most serious issue facing businesses, with about half of businesses planning to hire within the next six to twelve months for both skilled and unskilled positions.
- Ratings were high for all facets of safety and economy, yet business owners identified these areas as priorities for Eagan in the coming two years.
- 88% of businesses approve of the overall direction that Eagan is taking.
- City services are highly rated by the business community, with 97% of respondents saying the quality of City services was excellent or good.